Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A SLIGHT CHANGE IN DESIGN

I say slight, but I pretty much have to re-evaluate my design approach. As Glenda had mentioned to me previously, I had to sort out the program of the building to see if the form was efficient to house the facilities. After much research on the design of cargo terminals, all design approaches began with a rectangular form. This was due to this forms efficient nature with the outlaid program. I was very hesitant to fall into the mass produced rectangular and somewhat simple form. However, as a base, I am sure that I can work out a way to provide a unique and efficient design around a rectangular form. That will be my challenge! We’ll see how I can go, but opposed to the form that I was originally focused on, maybe this and other like building types cannot be built as an organic shape or form?

To reach this design shift, I had to step away from the computer generations and look at what was involved with my design, its users, and the program it needs to follow to provide maximum efficiency for the jobs that need to be undertaken within its walls.

img039

I then worked on a design to accommodate an export and import zone, with access points and pick up points by trucks and train. As a primitive plan, it illuminated the areas within the form that were dead space, or not required. Further investigation into a larger scale of plan view showed that the form needed to be adjusted to provide a reasonable solution. At this stage, although I could still go ahead with the form, I want to be approaching this design as an actual project. Answers need to be provided to show that this design is adequate and built specifically for its purpose.

img042

img041

1 comment:

  1. Adam,
    It is an important step that you have taken and realised that the needs of your building are the formal drivers of the design. It is perfectly ok to have a straight forward geometry that perhaps gains complexity through its use/integration of materials, structure, and skin systems. This is where the fabrication could play a critical role in the development of your design by experimenting with materials and processes. You may also find that elements of your previous design may re-surface in different possible ways.
    I look forward to seeing what develops...
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete