Friday, May 14, 2010

FABRICATING THE PHYSICAL MODEL OF THE GHERKIN

And here is the product of the laser cut model of the gherkin which I previously worked on. It was good to get these models done as it reintroduced me to the process of physical modelling. I am pleased of the outcome for this model, however if I were to do it again, I think i would have reversed the triangular structural system so that it was facing inward rather than outward. The reason I would do this is so I could add welding rods or something similar as the structural elements. I think that in doing this, it would have added an extra element to the model. Anyway, Here are the different stages of the model.

In the laser cutter:

IMG_0847

IMG_0849

IMG_0851

The final model. I forgot to take process images, but it wasn’t really hard for this one. I had lined them up in such away that it was only layer building. I used super glue instead of wood glue. I found that the wood glue was taking too long to set, plus it wasn’t as strong as the super glue.

IMG_0866

IMG_0867

IMG_0868

I like this image. It clearly shows the structural elements that protrude from the circular floor plates:

IMG_0869

IMG_0870

No comments:

Post a Comment