Sunday, May 16, 2010

BACK TO MY ACTUAL DESIGN

I am quickly going to post a fraction of my process for today. I had a mini crit last week and from there I need to narrow my focus to the program of the building. I am playing around with the scale of the building at the moment as I have been researching leading cargo terminals around the work. At first I was reluctant about the sheer size of my building, however in all major cargo terminals massive space is needed to accommodate the increased freight volume, and the systems that allow them to run smoothly and efficiently. In my ‘pitch report’ the increase in freight volume was my number one goal. I wanted to provide Brisbane Airport with the countries largest international import and export centre, which would allow for maintained growth and a dramatic increase in traffic and finances.

I’ll have to work with the scaling to provide the right usable area. At the moment, I will be exploring the form, as I'll need to adjust it some way, more than likely I'll be playing with the width as height is pretty much at its maximum:

2010-05-16_165624

2010-05-16_165610

I spoke with my tutor (Glenda) and we discussed the users of the building. Initially I was going to incorporate a number of freight carries that already use the surrounding buildings. After researching this though, I decided to retreat from that idea, as I thought it didn’t really apply to my pitch analysis. To increase the freight volume drastically, I needed to provide an international hub. After researching the top cargo carriers, I have decided to provide a new freight and cargo terminal for Cathay Pacific which will link with another major terminal under construction in Hong Kong’s HKIA. This will allow for the growth of freight to Brisbane Airport, launching it as Australia’s central freight and cargo distribution centre, both internationally and nationally.

Cathay Pacific destinations with headquarters in Hong Kong:

2010-05-16_131553

Proposal of Brisbane Cathay Pacific hub:

brisbane to the world

I also need to look at the transport to and from the site, both private and public. As mentioned in my pith I really want to push for Freight Train access as well as water access via a man made canal from Brisbane River.

The orientation of the site and the buildings placement seems to be working in my favour. The form of the building will provide controlled sunlight penetration as well as optimal and controllable ventilation.

Ok, so now I’m going to look at the buildings program which will hopefully shed some light on the form changes that I need to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment