Saturday, May 8, 2010

GRASSHOPPER TESTING

My aim here was to produce a vortex which i hoped to follow along a curve to give me a primitive view of my buildings exterior and structural form. However, I ran into some problems, and since this point I have changed my design somewhat. Using the techniques I learnt from the Gherkin experiment I was able to produce a manipulated form of a basic vortex.

Once I got to this point though, I was stuck for a while. I could isolate the points that I wanted the vortex curve to follow, but i couldn't figure out why my rectangles weren't travelling along the form I had created:



I expanded my rectangle sizes using the slider so I could see what was happening.



I knew it had something to do with the direction function. Turns out a simple addition to the rotate key made all the difference. Earlier on in the file I have the circle a direction of XY. Once i added the same direction to the rotation I was free of my hold up (which was ages, not going to lie):



I then lofted my form which produced this. This wasn't exactly what I wanted. I needed the rectangles to rotate over again to 90degrees so the form was sitting flatter:



All I did to produce this was to apply my rectangle size slider to the Y axis instead of the X axis:



This still wasn't exactly what i wanted, but it was close. I am currently trying to solve this rotation here. I need it over just a little bit more. I may leave it for the moment as my design has changed, but I think I need to add a 3D rotate key in there somewhere.



I am also struggling to get the spiralled form to follow a curve. I think I needed to concentrate on this part a little bit earlier, but that the great thing about Grasshopper, I can just add whatever in whenever I need to. I'll figure it, but for the moment i need to be looking at my varied design idea.


No comments:

Post a Comment