Friday, November 6, 2009

THE ELEVATOR

The elevator that I envisioned as being my main central core was causing me problems. As my design uses twisting floor plates, it was hard to come up with a system of vertical transport to cater for this. In most cases a twisting building will have a dead center elevator core, but mine does not. My skyscraper is pretty much divided into two, and only one tower will fit the elevator (walkways between the two towers will provide access to the tower that has no elevator core). I needed to come up with a way that the elevator would open in different places on the elevator shaft, which would be the same place on each of the twisting floor plates. After days of trying to solve this issue, I finally found a solution. The Infinity Tower posseses such a system. It utilises a circular core, and the elevators twist as rise. Each individual elevator services only a number of floors. It actually really cool. The specifics can be found here: http://www.infinitytower.com/index.php?id=47 and here: http://www.kone.com/countries/en_IN/about_us/news/Pages/KONE_to_supply_elevators_for_worlds_tallest_twisting_skyscraper_in_Dubai.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment