Thursday, August 20, 2009

SKYSCRAPER SITE

Here are the images of the site which will accommodate my skyscraper. I have visited the site, but will visit it again to analyse the space in more depth. It is very close to the train lines and train station in Fortitude Valley. It is almost dead opposite to China town as well. Most of the buildings surrounding it are only a couple of stories high, so I predict that my skyscraper will dominate the area, and hopefully incorporate existing structures, or at least provide a benefit to them one way or another.

Satellite Image of Brisbane and surrounding suburbs





Closer image of the vacant site


I have yet to decide on an actual design or what to design for. We have been given complete freedom with this and have been asked what design we have always wanted to do. This is really good, but with such freedoms I am hesitant to choose what to design for.

My initial idea was to relate a design back to movie and cinema. My initial thoughts were on providing an entertainment precinct in the valley for the community, with indoor and outdoor cinemas, and a whole range of entertainment facilities. I was going to attempt to tie my building designs to certain directors I was inspired by. This would open an avenue to explore themed sections of the skyscraper as well. Making this work would be a real challenge though. i would have to be precise, yet abstract and open in portraying cinema genres and not simply copying a design from movies here and there.

I'm not too sure if Ruwan (my tutor) was on board with the idea. He has said to do whatever we please, but I'll need to be able to show him progressive work on where my ideas are coming from. This is why I am still not sure if this is what I'll be going with. I have watched some documentaries on certain things (I won't say what right now), but they have awoken a design passion in me which i have always wanted to attempt. I will do some further research and update the blog once I have decided what to go with.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Adam - wondering if you've seen the Turin Cinema museum - at 167m its getting towards the skyscraper scale.

    ReplyDelete